We are excited to announce that we have reached an agreement with SFUSD on the current Contract Reopener. Thank you to everyone who emailed the Board of Education Commissioners and Superintendent, pushing them to get a deal done this week. Collectively we sent over 6,000 emails to them in just a few short days.
With this agreement, we have secured;
- 6%, ongoing salary increase for certificated and classified educators retroactive to July 1, 2022. Substitutes will also see this 6% increase. And educators working in summer school will see it starting in the summer of 2023.
- Additional 45 minutes of prep time weekly for TK-5 educators.
- Additional 30 minutes of prep time for secondary level educators.
- The site administrator and Union Building Committee will determine the additional prep time schedule.
- By January, the District will implement a core substitute pilot program for some high-need schools.
It is important to note that this agreement is the closing of old business with SFUSD – the closing of our current contract, which we extended through 2023 to meet the needs of our communities due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The wins from this agreement will help stabilize our schools as we move into the new contract cycle next calendar year. We have raised the floor for our contract on these issues, especially regarding educator pay. This is just the beginning. Now that the reopener is wrapped up, we will shift our entire focus to our Spring Contract Campaign. We have a lot of work to do to organize our sites so that we are ready to fight for the schools our students deserve. The bargaining survey is live and open until October 18. This is your opportunity to give your input about what we all will be fighting for in the next contract. Contact your Union Building Committee today or email firstname.lastname@example.org to ensure you know who to ask for the survey.
This reopener agreement needs to be ratified by the Board of Education. We anticipate them voting on this at the regular meeting on Tuesday, September 20, at 6:30 pm. We have developed a toolkit for members to give comments supporting the agreement. We will meet outside 555 Franklin St. at 5:30 pm to make signs and sign up to speak to the board. At 6 pm, we will have a short press conference before heading inside. We hope to see you there. Let’s keep the momentum going and ensure we continue ramping up for our large contract fight for the Spring. Get your bargaining surveys submitted, and see you on Tuesday!