We are facing the reality that with the first day of school just one week away, there are over 100 certificated vacancies and over 150 paraeducator vacancies at school sites. Amongst all the other demands we are making to fix EMPOWER and to stabilize our school as part of the fight for the schools our students deserve, we have come to an agreement with SFUSD regarding the impacts of the District’s plan for emergency staffing measures. Below you will find a summary of the agreement and what Teachers on Special Assignment (TSAs), whether site-based on central, can expect in the coming days. You can read the full text of the agreement here. If you have additional questions about this process you can submit your questions here.
Site supervisors must follow a volunteer request process with a 12 hour response window to determine how to reassign a unit member within their school site to combine classrooms with reduced enrollment or to eliminate vacancies.
- Reassigned TSA’s will be paid a $1500 stipend paid no later than Oct. 31, 2022
- Reassignment model
- TSA’s will have the opportunity to provide their preference for either a job-sharing OR a full reassignment.
- The reassignment will follow one of these three models, preference and availability dependent:
- Job sharing between a site-based TSA and a centrally-based TSA or another site-based TSA means that the site-based TSA and the centrally-based TSA share an assignment at the school site of the site-based TSA 50/50.
- Job sharing between two centrally-based TSAs means that two centrally-based TSAs share an assignment at a school site 50/50.
- Full-time reassignment of TSAs without job sharing shall occur as needed to ensure classrooms are fully staffed.
- TSA’s will only be placed outside of the credential area only if they volunteer to do so.
- TSAs who were reassigned last year as part of the October 3, 2021 Side Letter will not be reassigned for the 22-23 school year.
- TSAs who are reassigned to a job sharing model shall have a 50 percent reduction in workload for their regularly assigned TSA work.
- All reassigned TSA’s have the right to return to their TSA position when the vacant classroom position is filled or the school year comes to an end, whichever is first.
- SFUSD is determining who will not be on the eligibility list (i.e. cannot be reassigned).
- Those who were reassigned last year will be removed from eligibility list.
- The number of TSA reassignments will be determined by the number of vacancies, and then the reassignment models. The list of eligible TSAs for reassignment is determined from least to most senior.
- TSA reassignment preference takes place in order of seniority.
- Those with most seniority get first choice in their most desired placements. Preference for placement is from most senior to least senior.
- Thurs. Aug. 11th: TSAs who are exempt from reassignment notified
- Fri. Aug. 12th: All TSAs shall receive an initial communication that includes the list of vacancies that are eligible for reassignment
- Sun. Aug. 14 by 5pm: TSAs who are eligible for reassignment must submit their preferences for assignment and model regarding classroom vacancies to Human Resources
- Mon. Aug. 15 by 5pm: TSAs will receive assignment letters
- Tues. Aug. 16: Reassigned TSAs report to their assigned school site at the start of work day