Thanks to your support over this past week late last night, the Unions of SFUSD reached an agreement with the District that protects the health and safety of our schools and our community while keeping schools open. Thousands of union members, students, families, and community allies made this possible by signing and sharing our petition, sending letters to District and City Leaders, speaking out at the school board, and sharing your powerful stories over social media. Because of our collective action, we were able to secure all three of our demands!
You can view the agreement here. Below you will find a summary and additional info about each item covered in the agreement. After reviewing all the information, if you still have questions, please email us at email@example.com.
1: Extension of COVID-19 Supplemental Paid Sick Leave
- 10 days of supplemental paid sick leave so that employees who test positive or have symptoms can stay home and keep students, coworkers, and school communities safe
- These days are retroactive to 12/21/21 (if you were supposed to be working)
- You should be able to work with your school secretary and site admin to have the days coded properly retroactively and moving forward.
- We were able to win a guaranteed 10 days of COVID sick leave at the table. Still, we are also pushing at a City and State level for more because we know that 10 might not be enough, especially as the pandemic continues and members might contract COVID more than once.
- We also have language in the agreement that triggers a meet and confer with the District if new legislation comes out that would provide more than 10 days.
2: High Quality Face Masks (N95, KN95, or KF94)
- The District will provide N95, KN95, or KF94 masks for ALL students and school workers who ask.
- We know that masks were delivered to teachers over the last few days but did not include masks for anyone else on site. This is unacceptable, and that is why we fought and won masks for EVERYONE.
3: COVID-19 Testing
- The District will provide guaranteed weekly testing at all District sites, including every SFUSD school, for all students and employees who request it.
- Weekly COVID testing is crucial to catching potential positive cases from asymptomatic students and staff. You no longer have to be showing symptoms to be tested every week.
Now that we have an agreement in place that provides clear expectations that school staff and families can rely on, we can focus on making sure everything we need to keep our schools safe is implemented immediately. We hope that everything rolls out smoothly, but we will be there with your support to ensure that SFUSD provides the protections it has agreed to provide to our school communities. So as always, stay tuned, but for now, we are grateful to celebrate this win with all of you!