Feb 21 Action
UESF 2023 Bargaining Platform
Contract Campaign Kickoff
Despite rainy weather, over 200 United Educators of San Francisco members gathered this past Saturday, Dec. 3rd at Burton High School to kick off the “Fighting for the Schools Our Students Deserve” campaign. The Yau Kung Moon Troupe, including former students from Burton, Washington, Galileo, Lincoln and Lowell, set the tone. Their energizing and beautiful performance properly opened the day. The opening session reviewed the general outcomes of the bargaining survey completed by 3300 members:
- UESF members’ top 5 bargaining (most important) issues address staff shortages and student supports: salary, retirement/pension, additional onsite services, class size limits and duty-free prep time.
- Special educators need manageable workloads to focus on student needs
- Paras deserve a Living Wage that reflects their contribution to student learning conditions
- Support service educators need funding and supports to better meet our students’ needs
Participants then broke into 11 small groups to discuss what demands we should be fighting for, what is winnable this year and what we want to win in the future as well as how to engage members and foster solidarity amongst educators. Each morning session reported out at the end of the day as well as created a report for the bargaining team to review.
Following lunch, members participated in the following workshops
- A site plan to win
- Play the Game to Change the Game: Planning for the Future of UESF COPE (Committee on Political Education)
- Paraeducators: Know your rights so we can fight
- Certificated Educators: Know your rights so we can fight
- From Empower Disaster to Contract Win
- What does a contract campaign looks like?
- Creating a message that resonates with the community
- We can’t do this alone: Community solidarity and coalition building
- and a film showing of “When We Fight.”
Check out this great collection of photos from the kickoff. It was our first opportunity since 2020 to come together in the same room, and the experience was powerful! The UESF Big Bargaining Team will be working diligently to turn the survey outcomes and the work of the kickoff into a “Fighting for the Schools Our Students Deserve” platform. We deeply appreciate all the work of the bargaining team, UESF staff, and member volunteers that made the day so smooth. A special shoutout to the Burton High School educators for the use of their site!